About the RxBOX program
Launched by the DuPage County Health Department in 2009, the RxBOX program offers residents a safe, easy way to drop off unwanted medications that might otherwise have been misused or gone to waterways and landfills. Unwanted medicine can be dropped off at any DuPage County RxBOX location.
Proper disposal of unused medications protects the environment and saves lives. Bring your expired and unused medications to an RxBOX location that is convenient for you. The medications will then be incinerated in collaboration with the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency using state-of-the-art technology.
The medications will not be reused in any way.
- Bring household medication including over-the-counter, prescription medications, ointments and liquid medications that are expired or no longer wanted.
- Also drop off asthma inhalers.
- You can bring medications as they are in their original containers or, for spill-free disposal, place the pills or liquid medication bottles in zipper top plastic bag.
- Cross off any personal information on the label or remove them to reduce concerns about personal identification information.
- As an alternative, you may empty pills directly into a zipper top plastic bag to further protect your personal information and dispose or recycle the empty pill bottle at home.
- Then deposit your medications in the collection container marked “RxBox” in a participating law enforcement facility.
Items NOT Accepted:
- Sharps or needles, especially epinephrine pens. View the Sharps Disposal at Home flyer for information on how to dispose of sharps at home safely and easily.
- Radioactive medicines
- Any other medical waste
- Household chemical waste; these items need to be disposed of using other methods
- Addison Police Department, 3 Friendship Plaza, Addison, IL 60101
- Bensenville Police Department, 345 E Green Street, Bensenville, IL 60106
- Bloomingdale Police Department, 201 S. Bloomingdale Road, Bloomingdale, IL 60108
- Burr Ridge Police Department, 7700 S. County Line Rd, Burr Ridge, IL 60527
- Carol Stream Police Department, 505 E. North Avenue, Carol Stream, IL 60188
- Clarendon Hills Police Department, 448 Park Avenue, Clarendon Hills, IL 60514
- Darien Police Department, 1710 Plainfield Road, Darien, IL 60561
- DuPage County Sheriff, 501 N. County Farm Road, Wheaton, IL 60187
- Elmhurst Police Department, 125 E. 1st Street, Elmhurst, IL 60126
- Glendale Heights Police Department, 300 Civic Plaza, Glendale Heights, IL 60139
- Glen Ellyn Police Department, 65 S Park Blvd, Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
- Hanover Park Police Department, 2011 W. Lake Street, Hanover Park, IL 60133
- Itasca Police Department, 540 W. Irving Park Road, Itasca, IL 60143
- Lisle Police Department, 5040 Lincoln Avenue, Lisle, IL 60532
- Roselle Police Department, 103 S. Prospect Street, Roselle, IL 60172
- Schaumburg Police Department, 1000 W. Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg, IL 60194
- Villa Park Police Department, 40 S. Ardmore Avenue, Villa Park, IL 60181
- Wood Dale Police Department, 404 N. Wood Dale Road, Wood Dale, IL 60191
For a printable version of RxBOX locations and details, view the RxBOX Flyer.
View a map of all drug take back locations in DuPage County here, including RxBOX and Walgreens locations.
Add an RXBOX to Your Facility
If you are a member of law enforcement who is interested in adding an RxBOX to your facility, please contact us using the form below: